Thursday, March 16, 2006

A memory of Chad:

I remember
The time I fasted
In Chad, Africa
My first fast, indeed
at the tender age of 15
the beginning of maturity
It was so hot and so dry
Hardly any wind blew
The heat was brutal
And at 12 everyone was inside
Showers were taken every half hour
As we sat with a fan above our heads
That seemed to make no difference.
Yet we were happy and thrilled
To wake up to the sounds of the roosters
And praise the Lord for this wonderful opportunity.
I remember
The time I fasted*
in Chad, Africa.

By Quddus Nasseri

*my only fast before leaving for the US


"These are the days of the Fast. Blessed is the one who through the heat generated by the Fast increaseth his love, and who, with joy and radiance, ariseth to perform worthy deeds. Verily, He guideth whomsoever He willeth to the straight path."
Bahá’u’lláh

1 comment: